How to Plan a Budget for Tonga
How much does it cost to travel to Tonga? Well, everyone has their own style of travel and needs, between the budgeting backpacker to the family of four. Tonga is not your high-end luxury destination but does offer some once-in-a-lifetime activities that will likely be a larger expense while in the country. Food, accommodation and transport can be extremely affordable if you want it to be, but there’s always the opportunity to splurge a little.
So to give you an idea of what is the cost of travelling in Tonga, we’ve put together a list of typical prices in Tonga, so you can determine what prices are likely to apply to you.
Before we dive into this Tonga travel budget, be sure to bookmark The Complete Travel Guide to Tonga for even more tips.
Tonga Travel Budget Examples
We can’t stress enough how everyone’s budget will be different for a trip to Tonga. That’s why we strongly encourage you to look at the prices in the below guide to determine what prices apply to your trip so that you can budget more accurately. Nevertheless, because we know that many of you like the average cost for a trip to Tonga, we have put together an example of a Tonga travel budget.
The Daily Cost of a Trip to Tonga
Here are a few averages for a daily budget for Tonga. This includes accommodation, food, transport and takes into account that you might do one activity each day. This does not include flights or anything else not previously mentioned. Each price is per person per day.
- Budget daily budget: TOP$185
- Mid-range daily budget: TOP$410
- Luxury daily budget: TOP$770+
How much does it cost to go to Tonga for one week?
Budget trip – TOP$1,295, Mid-range trip – TOP$2,870, Luxury trip – TOP$5,390.
How much does it cost to go to Tonga for 10 days?
Budget trip – TOP$1,850, Mid-range trip – TOP$4,100, Luxury trip – TOP$7,700.
How much does it cost to go to Tonga for two weeks?
Budget trip – TOP$2,590, Mid-range trip – TOP$5,740, Luxury trip – TOP$10,780.
For more budget advice, take a look at How Much Spending Money Do You Need for Tonga?
Typical Costs Before You Arrive in Tonga
There are a few things to think about purchasing in preparation for your trip, from the essential flight ticket to the optional travel insurance. Because travellers to Tonga are coming from New Zealand, Australia, Asia, Europe and beyond, it would be inappropriate to give an average flight cost here. However, you can head over to How to Book a Cheap Flight to Tonga for advice.
Note that most tourists will not need to pay for a visa to enter Tonga. Find out more in Do You Need a Visa to Visit Tonga?
Finally, you might want to consider making a few purchases for your Tonga wardrobe, as well as get essential gear like sunscreen or reef shoes if you’re heading out to the islands. Check out The Complete Packing List for Tonga for more advice.
The Cost of Accommodation in Tonga
Accommodation is available in Tonga, ranging from budget guesthouses to four-star resorts. Check out our complete Accommodation category to browse the type of accommodation available in Tonga.
Here are your typical accommodation costs in Tonga. Note that these prices do not include any compulsory meal plans and boat transfers that might be offered at some remote island resorts.
Accommodation Prices in Tonga
- Dorm bed/night – TOP$19-$30
- Guesthouse single room/night – TOP$50-$70
- Guesthouse double room/night – TOP$60-$90
- Guesthouse double ensuite/night – TOP$100-$120
- Hotel double ensuite/night – TOP$200-$350
- Mid-range resort fale (bungalow)/night – TOP$280-$400
- Family room or villa/night – TOP$180-$550
Get more information on accommodation prices in What is the Cost of Accommodation in Tonga?
The Cost of Food in Tonga
Food prices in restaurants are fairly even across the country, with the exception of a few cheap eats in Nuku’alofa. Self-catering is an option on Tongatapu, near Neiafu in Vava’u, ‘Eua and on Lifuka Island in Ha’apai, while those staying at island resorts often will only have little choice but to eat at the resort.
Restaurant Meal Prices in Tonga
- Main breakfast meal – TOP$10-$20
- Main lunch meal – TOP$14-$30
- Main dinner meal – TOP$20-$40
- Pint of beer – TOP$8-$10
- Small coffee – TOP$5
- Cocktail – TOP$13-$19
- Non-alcoholic drink – TOP$5
- Resort meal plan/day – TOP$90-$150
Check out some of our recommended restaurants in The Guide to the Best Eats & Restaurants in Tonga.
Supermarket Food Prices in Tonga
- 1.5l (50 fluid ounces) box of milk – TOP$3.80
- 30 tray eggs – TOP$16
- 1kg (2.2 pounds) of rice – TOP$2.90
- 500g (1.1 pounds) pasta – TOP$2.10
- A loaf of sliced bread – TOP$1.80
- 1kg (2.2 pounds) cheese – TOP$16-$17
- 100g (3 ounces) dry freeze coffee – TOP$8
- Bag of chips – TOP$5.80
- Can of coke – TOP$2.50
- Box of cereal – TOP$13-$14
- 1kg (2.2 pounds) of chicken – TOP$4.50
- 1kg (2.2 pounds) of beef mince – TOP$10
- 1kg (2.2 pounds) of pork – TOP$10
- 1kg (2.2 pounds) of mutton – TOP$13-$14
- Bag of fish (6-8 fish) – TOP$40-$50
- 300g (12 ounces) of corned beef – TOP$10.30
Produce Market Prices
- 4 apples – TOP$5
- Bunch of bananas – TOP$5-$10
- 4 tomatoes – TOP$3-4
- 3 persimmons – TOP$10
- 3 cucumbers – TOP$3
- A pile of chillis – TOP$3-$4
- A basket of coconuts – TOP$10
- 1 cabbage – TOP$2
- A bag of onions – TOP$3
Find out more about food shopping in Tonga with our guide, What is the Cost of Food in Tonga?
The Cost of Activities in Tonga
A large part of your budget once you arrive in Tonga will be your activities. While there are plenty of free & cheap things to do in Tonga, other activities from whale swimming to cultural shows have a price attached. Note that some resorts also offer free use of non-motorised watersports gear.
Land Activity Prices in Tonga
- Guided land sightseeing tour – TOP$75-$100
- Guided hike – TOP$70
- Culture tour/3 hours – TOP$75
- Botanical gardens tour – TOP$35-$50
- Cultural show & buffet – TOP$35-$55
- ‘Anahulu Cave entry – TOP$15
- Massage/60 minutes – TOP$90-$235
Water Activity Prices in Tonga
- Whale swimming tour – TOP$350-$690
- Scuba diving/two-tank – TOP$300 -$420
- Game fishing/half-day – TOP$455-$600
- Guided boat sightseeing/snorkel tour – TOP$120-$355
- Kayak hire/day – TOP$0-$140
- Stand-up paddleboard hire/day – TOP$0
- Snorkel hire/day – TOP$0-$25
- Sailing charter 2 guests/night – TOP$200-$690
- Guided kayak tour/day – TOP$230-$350
Get more examples of activity prices, as well as free activities, in our guide, What is the Cost of Activities in Tonga?
The Cost of Transport in Tonga
From road transport to ferries to flights, there are many ways to get around Tonga. While transport in Tonga is quite affordable, the cost mainly depends on how far you are travelling. Vehicle rentals are available on Tongatapu and Vava’u.
Road Transport Prices
- Bicycle rental/day – TOP$0-$30
- Visitor’s Driving Licence – TOP$40
- Scooter rental/day – TOP$50
- Car rental/day – TOP$40-$150
- Public bus/trip – TOP$0.70-$3
- Taxi/30 minutes – TOP$30-$50
- Accommodation/airport transfers – TOP$4-$60
Water and Air Transport Prices
- Ferry/Tongatapu to Vava’u – TOP$80-$150
- Island resort airport transfer – TOP$60-$230
- Flight/Tongatapu to Vava’u – TOP$350
Check out How to Get Around Tonga for more information. Plus, get transport prices for more routes in our guide, What is the Cost of Transport in Tonga?
So, is Tonga Expensive or Cheap to Visit?
Tonga can be enjoyed on a tight budget but there are certainly opportunities to splurge if you want to. While not as cheap as backpacking in Southeast Asia, Tonga is cheaper than many other South Pacific Islands and arguably cheaper than vacations in New Zealand and Australia.
More About the Cost of Travelling in Tonga
So that’s how much it costs for a trip to Tonga. If you need more budgeting advice, take a look at the following guides:
- The Travel Guide to Tonga on a Budget
- 10 Tips for Travelling Tonga on a Budget
- What is the Currency in Tonga?
- Can You Use Your Credit Card in Tonga?
- 10 Ways to Save Money When Travelling in Tonga
Finally, plan more of your trip with our itinerary compilations: The Best Tonga Itineraries for 2 Weeks, The Best Tonga Itineraries for 1 Week, The Best Tonga Itineraries for 5 Days and The Best Tonga Itineraries for a Weekend.