The Cost of Flights in Tonga
It’s no news that air travel is an expensive form of getting around. As you’ll see from the typical airfares stated below, flights in Tonga are pretty pricey too. But combined with the convenience and speed of getting around, you might find that taking a flight over other overwater travel methods might just be worth it… Plan your budget for Tonga following the costs (and money-saving tips) in this guide to how much does it cost to fly in Tonga.
Ways to Save Money on Flights in Tonga
- Domestic flight sales are frequent in the off-season in Tonga, as well as around Christmas where it’s common to see fares to Vava’u at TOP$200, to Ha’apai for TOP$150 and to ‘Eua for TOP$50!
- Check out the “Special Offers” tab of Tonga’s airline’s website for their latest deals (learn about Tonga’s airline in The Guide to Flights in Tonga)
- The earlier you book domestic flights in Tonga, the cheaper airfares tend to be
- Purchase a Standard Fare instead of a Flexi Fare for a cheaper rate (this just means you’ll incur a TOP$30 fee if you need to reschedule your flight)
- Be aware of the baggage allowance, which is 15kg (33lbs) for most domestic flights. Going over 1kg (2lbs) over the baggage allowance can incur extra charges.
For general ways to save money on flights, find more tips in How to Book a Cheap Flight to Tonga.
Domestic Flight Prices
Domestic flights are the easiest, fastest and most comfortable way to travel between the island groups of Tonga. However, this comes at a considerably more expensive fare than what is experienced through ferry travel. Note that flights are only available between islands with airports in Tonga, as there are no charter or helicopter services in Tonga for tourists. See What Are the Airports in Tonga? to see which islands you can fly to in Tonga.
Typical Prices for Domestic Flights in Tonga
To give you an idea of how much it costs to fly in Tonga, here are a few examples of popular routes and how much they typically cost. The following prices are one-way fares for standard tickets only (tickets that incur an extra fee to reschedule).
- Tongatapu to Vava’u – Around TOP$340/adult, TOP$230/child, TOP$33/infant
- Tongatapu to Ha’apai – Around TOP$240/adult, TOP$160/child, TOP$23/infant
- Tongatapu to ‘Eua – Around TOP$100/adult, TOP$52/child, TOP$9/infant
- Ha’apai to Vava’u (via Tongatapu) – Around TOP$580/adult, TOP$400/child
- Tongatapu to Niuatoputapu (via Vava’u) – Around TOP$685/adult, TOP$473/child, TOP$67/infant
- Vava’u to Niuafo’ou – Around TOP$350/adult, TOP$300/child
Other Costs of Flying in Tonga
Apart from your flight ticket, there are other costs associated with flying in Tonga. There are fees when rescheduling or refunding a flight, as well as for excess baggage, which are as stated below.
Charges to Be Aware of
- Rescheduling a flight (non-Flexi tickets) – Around TOP$30 per person
- Rescheduling a flight within 48 hours (24 hours for Flexi ticketholders) – Around TOP$50 per person
- Ticket refund – Around TOP$50 per person
- Excess baggage – Around TOP$3-10 per kilo
- Extra baggage (15kg/33lbs) – Around TOP$50-$150
For more budgeting tips, see What is the Cost of Travelling in Tonga.