The Ultimate Tonga Packing List!
You’ve booked the flights, you know what amazing experiences in Tonga are on your bucket list, you’ve even drawn out some Tongan pa’anga… Now, all that stands in your way to your ultimate tropical adventure is packing! Exciting yet daunting all at the same time, packing the right clothes, having the accessories you’re going to need, but not overpacking are the items you’re going to need to balance. We go through everything to consider for a trip to Tongan paradise in this complete packing list for Tonga!
Tips for Packing for Tonga
- Pack clothes for each day of stay under one week. For longer stays, pack for one week then make use of accommodation laundry facilities
- Consider which piece of luggage is best for you – get advice in What is the Best Type of Luggage for Tonga?
- If you’re taking a domestic flight in Tonga, pack extra light! The baggage allowance is 15kg (33lbs) to Ha’apai and Vava’u and 10kg (22lbs) to ‘Eua
- Be aware of the items that you have packed that you will need to declare at Customs on arrival
- Pack versatile outfits that can be worn for different occasions
- Use packing cubes to organise your suitcase.
Clothes Packing List for Tonga
Tonga has consistently warm tropical weather – usually 25-31°C (77-88°F) in the day and 15-25°C (59-77°F) in the evening. Needless to say, packing light clothing is essential, but you’ll also want to be prepared with clothes to protect yourself from the sun, rain and mosquito bites. We recommend packing enough clothes for each day you stay if staying less than a week. Staying any longer, you can use the laundry facilities available in many of the resorts and guest houses.
For a complete list of clothes to pack, see What Clothes to Pack to Travel Tonga. Otherwise, here’s a quick overview…
Tonga Casual Clothing Packing List
- Dresses/Skirts below for going out in public/sightseeing for women
- Sarong (lavalava) for a quick cover-up
- Light sleepwear
- Light jacket/Cardigan/Pashmina for cooler evenings
- Light fleece jumper (something to keep warm after swimming from a boat)
- A smarter outfit covering the shoulders and knees if going to church
- Clothes to travel in
Tonga Swimwear Packing List
- One-piece swimsuit for watersports/village stay for women
- Rash vest
Tonga Footwear Packing List
- Reef shoes
- Walking shoes/Sandals
Tonga Sun, Rain and Insect Protection Packing List
- Light cotton shirt to cover arms
- Light rain jacket/Small umbrella
- UV protection top
- Insect repellent top
For more a description of clothes to take, see What Clothes to Pack to Travel Tonga.
Travel Accessories Packing List for Tonga
While some accessories like travel adapters, currency and, of course, your passport come under the list of essential accessories to pack, other accessories are more non-essential. Take a look at some suggestions in the list below.
Travel Essentials Packing List
- Visa (if applicable)
- Boarding pass/booking paperwork
- Travel ticket/booking paperwork for travel out of Tonga
- Credit card
- Tongan Pa’anga
- Driver licence/International Driver Permit (if renting a car)
Tonga Travel Accessories/Gadgets Packing List
- Snorkel gear (if you’re not staying in a resort or prefer your own)
- Beach/Travel towel
- Waterproof camera
- Chargers for electronic devices
- Type 1 travel adapter
- Lifestraw water bottle
- Floating waterproof phone pouch
- Reusable straws
- Hanging luggage scale
- Waterproof wallet
- Solar-powered battery pack
- Pens, pads and books to donate to a local school
See 10 Must-Have Gadgets to Pack for Tonga for more information and recommendations on the items mentioned.
Tonga Travel Accessories/Gadgets Packing List for Kids
- Baby mosquito net
- Waterproof kids camera
- Go!: Kids Interactive Travel Diary
- Reusable Swim Diaper Training Pants
- GPS tracker/child locator
- Travel games
- Travel stroller
- Portable steriliser
- Baby formula
- Children’s lifejacket
See 10 Must-Have Kids Gadgets for a Trip to Tonga for more information on each of the items mentioned.
Toiletries/Medication Packing List for Tonga
Everyone’s different when it comes to a morning routine. For this reason, you might find a few things on this list that you would never use, as well as a few things missing. Nevertheless, this list might just prompt you for a few things to remember to pack, especially when it comes to some essential medication to take. For the full list of medication to pack, see What Medication to Pack in Your First Aid Kit for Tonga.
Tonga First Aid Kit Packing List
- Travel passport (travel vaccinations record)
- Antihistamine pills or cream
- Oral rehydration sachets (medical electrolytes)
- Baby electrolytes
- Antidiarrhoeal pills e.g. loperamide
- Nasal drops
- Disinfectant wipes
- Elastic wraps
- Antisceptic cream/spray
- Hydrocortisone cream
- Aloe vera soothing cream
- A copy of the emergency numbers in Tonga
- Antibiotics if going to remote areas – discuss with your GP first.
For information on what each medication is for, see What Medication to Pack in Your First Aid Kit for Tonga.
Tonga Toiletries and Other Medication Packing List
- SPF lip balm
- Insect repellent
- Seasickness pills
- Prescription medication
- Shampoo/conditioner (if not staying in resort/hotel)
- Feminine hygiene products
- Soap (if not staying in resort/hotel)
- Razor/hair removal device
- Glasses/contact lenses
- Nail clippers
- Hand sanitiser
For more health tips, check out How to Keep Safe in Tonga.
Why Type of Bags to Take to Tonga
Now that you know everything you are going to pack, what are you going to pack into?! Everyone has their preferences when it comes to luggage, but we recommend that travellers moving around a few times, perhaps visiting a few different islands of their trip, should use a backpack. If you’re basing yourself in one resort or hotel for the majority of your stay, a suitcase should suit just fine. You’ll also want to make sure you have an appropriate day pack to carry essentials, such as sunscreen, insect repellent, water, etc. Find out more about the pros and cons of each type of luggage in What is the Best Type of Luggage for Tonga?
Luggage to Take to Tonga
- Beach bag/Day pack that fits within the carry-on allowance of your chosen airline (usually 55cm x 40cm x 23cm / 21″ x 15″ x 9″)
- Small purse/Camera bag
- Packing Cubes