How Much Duty-Free Goods Can You Bring into Tonga?
What’s a holiday without a few drinks? Many of us try to get a bargain by purchasing our favourite drinks or tobacco from duty-free stores in the airports on the way to Tonga or even from the duty-free store when landing in Tonga. However, be aware that Tonga has a limit to how much duty-free goods can be brought into the country, including allowances on alcohol and tobacco. In this guide, we’ll go through the duty-free allowances for Tonga.
For more arrival advice, see Airport Arrival in Nuku’alofa Tonga, as well as Everything You Need to Know About Arriving in Tonga.
How to Declare Your Duty-Free Goods When Arriving in Tonga
So we’ve established that there are certain items that you can import into Tonga free of customs duty, but how do Customs check? First of all, you will be asked to declare any duty-free goods on your Tonga Passenger Arrival Card, which you receive on your flight or cruise to Tonga. There are questions on the arrival card specifically asking whether you are bringing over the allowance of alcohol or tobacco products. Find out more in The Passenger Arrival Card for Tonga.
Once you arrive in Tonga, you will hand over your Tonga Passenger Arrival Card to a Customs officer when you go through Passport Control. If you have picked up duty-free goods from the store in the arrivals hall (Fua’amotu Airport only), then you may be asked to declare this verbally to the Customs officer.
After baggage is collected from the Baggage Claim, Quarantine Officers will check bags for biosecurity risk items, as well as goods over the duty-free allowance.
Learn more about the Customs process in Arrival Advice: Biosecurity and Customs in Tonga.
Duty-Free Allowances for Tonga
Each passenger arriving in Tonga is entitled to a certain amount of duty-free goods. Here is a quick breakdown of allowances of duty-free goods each passenger can bring into Tonga.
Duty-Free Allowance for Alcohol
Each passenger of 18 years old and over can bring the following quantities of duty-free alcoholic beverages into Tonga, providing they are for personal use and not for sale:
- Spirits not exceeding 2.25 litres (76oz) or
- Wines not exceeding 4.5 litres (152oz) or
- Beers not exceeding 4.5 litres (152oz).
Duty-Free Allowance for Tobacco, Cigarettes and/or Cigars
Each passenger of 18 years old and over can bring the following quantities of duty-free tobacco, cigarettes and/or cigars into Tonga, providing they are for personal use and not for sale:
- Cigarettes not exceeding 250 sticks or
- Cigars not exceeding 250 grams (8.8oz) in net weight or
- Tobacco not exceeding 250 grams (8.8oz) in net weight.
Other Goods with a Duty-Free Allowance
Duty-free allowance also applies to other goods purchased overseas up to a combined value of TOP$500. This includes gifts, souvenirs, electronic equipment, jewellery, watches, sporting equipment, etc.
Duty-Free Allowances for Other Countries
When buying duty-free goods in Tonga that you intend to take overseas with you, remember that there are duty-free allowances when arriving in other countries too. Here is a quick overview of the duty-free allowances for alcohol and tobacco products for countries with direct flights from Tonga.
Duty-Free Allowances for Countries with Direct Flights from Tonga
The list is formatted in the following way: Country – Age restriction for alcohol and tobacco goods (if there is one), Alcohol allowance, Tobacco allowance.
- Australia – 18 years+, 2.25 litres of alcohol, 50 cigarettes or 50 grams of tobacco or cigars
- New Zealand – 17 years+, 3 bottles of up to 1.125 millilitres each or 2.5 litres of wine or 2.5 litres of beer, 200 cigarettes or 250 grams of tobacco or 50 cigars or a combination not exceeding 250 grams
- Fiji – 17 years+, 2.25 litres of alcohol or 4.5 litres of wine or 4.5 litres of beer, 250 cigarettes or 250 grams of tobacco or cigars
- Samoa – 16 years+, 1 litre of alcohol, 200 cigarettes or 250 grams of cigars or tobacco
- American Samoa – 21 years+, 1 litre of alcohol, 200 cigarettes or 250 grams or 100 cigars or a combination not exceeding 250 grams.
Learn more about flights out of Tonga in Which Airlines Fly to Tonga?