The Price of Accommodation in Tonga
An essential part of working out your travel budget is knowing how much money you are going to spend on accommodation. For travellers, Tonga provides an array of options, from budget guest houses to glorious island resorts. Find out what is the cost of accommodation in Tonga in the list of price ranges below!
For more typical prices in Tonga, see What is the Cost of Travelling in Tonga?
Tips for Saving Money on Accommodation in Tonga
- Travel in the low season (November-May) for low season rates and deals
- Families, look out for resorts and hotels that allow children under 12 years old to use the room’s exisiting bedding for free
- Almost all accommodation in Tonga have very limited rooms, so book early to ensure your first choice of accommodation, especially in the high season (June-October)
- Compare accommodation inclusions, to determine whether the accommodation provides good value or not.
For more budgeting advice, see 10 Tips for Travelling Tonga on a Budget.
The Cost of Budget Accommodation in Tonga
For the traveller who sees accommodation as just a bed for the night, budget accommodation in Tonga is a good choice. But how cheap are we talking?
Budget accommodation in Tonga comes in the form of guest houses, locally-run hotels and budget resorts. All budget accommodation are boutique, meaning that there are usually three to 15 rooms available.
Guest houses are the most abundant type of budget stay in Tonga, which are usually a large home run by locals. There are usually private single and double rooms with shared bathroom facilities, as well as a limited selection of ensuite double rooms. Shared kitchen facilities are the norm, while some guest houses also offer shared dorm rooms where you pay per bed.
Budget Accommodation Prices
- Camping/night – TOP$20
- Dorm bed/night – TOP$19-$30
- Guest house single room/night – TOP$50-$70
- Guest house double room/night – TOP$60-$90
- Guest house double ensuite/night – TOP$100-$120
Find out more about budget accommodation in Tonga in our Budget & Backpackers category.
The Cost of Mid-Range Accommodation in Tonga
If you’re not on-the-cheap in Tonga, then chances are you are looking for something mid-range. Mid-range accommodation in Tonga is at an international standard of 3 to 4 stars. There are no 5-star resorts or hotels in Tonga.
Hotels and resorts are your main choices of mid-range accommodation in Tonga, usually an ensuite private room with hot water. With the exception of the Tanoa Hotel, all hotels and resorts are small, usually only up to 30 rooms at the most.
Mid-Range Accommodation Prices
- Hotel double ensuite/night – TOP$200-$350
- Resort fale (bungalow)/night – TOP$280-$400
- Family room or villa/night – TOP$180-$550
The Cost of Accommodation Services in Tonga
Accommodations in Tonga provide more than just a bed for the night. Most provide a few additional services, from breakfast to use of non-motorised watersports equipment. Here are some typical prices you will find when it comes to accommodation services in Tonga.
Accommodation Service Prices
- Laundry/load – TOP$5-$15
- Breakfast – TOP$0-$15
- Lunch or Dinner – TOP$15-$20
- Meal plan/day – TOP$90-$150
- WiFi/hour – TOP$0-$6
- Airport transfer/land only – TOP$4-$60
- Airport transfer/land and water – TOP$60-$230
- Land tours – TOP$75-$100
- Car hire/day – TOP$50-$120
- Scooter hire/day – TOP$50
- Bicycle hire/day – TOP$0-$20
- Kayak hire/day – TOP$0-$20
- Snorkel hire/day – TOP$0