Can You Get a Ferry Pass to Travel Around Tonga?
The short answer: no. There are no ferry passes in Tonga that allows you to do multiple trips with one ticket. Ferry tickets can be purchased for one-way trips. However, with the price of some of the ferry crossings between the island groups of Tonga, you might not think a ferry pass is necessary… In this quick guide, we’ll go over the price of ferry tickets and where to buy ferry tickets in Tonga.
While you’re here, you might be also interested in 10 Tips for Travelling Tonga by Boat and the Tonga Transport Guide: 10 Ways to Get Around Tonga.
Tips for Taking the Ferry in Tonga
- Check and double-check the ferry schedule – they can change even on the day!
- Pack enough food and drink for the journey
- Be one of the first to get on the ferry for longer trips so you can find a comfortable spot for the next few hours
- Ferries don’t operate on a Sunday
For more details on each tip, as well as more advice, see the 10 Tips for Taking the Ferry in Tonga.
Where to Buy Ferry Tickets in Tonga
There are no nifty tricks to get a ferry ticket in Tonga. Just simply visit a ferry terminal and purchase your ticket from the appropriate ticket office there. The ferry terminals for each island group are in the following locations:
- Tongatapu – Queen Salote Wharf, Nuku’alofa
- Ha’apai – Taufa’ahau Wharf, Pangai on Lifuka Island
- Vava’u – Halaevalu Wharf, Neiafu on Vava’u Island
- ‘Eua – Nafanua Wharf, Ohonua
- The Niuas – Niuatoputapu and Niuafo’ou
If you can’t find the ticket office, or it isn’t open, then no worries. You can usually pay for your journey onboard or while boarding the vessel.
Tickets are for one-way trips only. Find out more about the ferry routes and durations in The Guide to Travelling in Tonga by Ferry.
Ferry Fares in Tonga
How much does it cost to travel around Tonga by ferry? Well, less than taking a plane. He’s an overview of ferry fare prices. Note that prices can change so we’ve listed approximate prices for each route.
- Tongatapu to ‘Eua – Around TOP$20-$30
- Tongatapu to Ha’apai – TOP$65-$80
- Tongatapu to Vava’u – TOP$80-$100
- Vava’u to Ha’apai – TOP$70-$80
- Vava’u to The Niuas – TOP$215-$250
Note that prices differ depending on which ferry you get. There are two types of ferries running the Tongatatapu-‘Eua route and the Tongatapu-Ha’apai-Vava’u route: a fast catamaran ferry and a slow barge or cargo-ship ferry. The fast ferries are at the higher end of the price points. Find out more about the different types of ferries in Tonga here.
For more information on ferry prices, see How Much Do Ferries Cost in Tonga?