Cheap Tonga Airport Transfers
For mundane aspects of the travel experience, like airport transfers, who can blame you for wanting to save a bit of money in the process. That means another pint of refreshing Tongan beer! However, with limited choice on airport transfers for Tonga, there’s not much room to make huge savings. What’s more, one isn’t always cheaper than the other. So compare approximate prices and get an idea of how much you’ll spend on an airport transfer with this guide the cheapest airport transfer options in Tonga.
For more advice on the airport arrival process, see Everything You Need to Know About Arriving in Tonga.
Buses and Hitching to the Airport?
While buses are the cheapest type of transport in Tonga, there are no local buses running to and from Tonga’s airports. As for hitchhiking, it is possible and fairly common in Tonga as a way of getting a free ride. However, hitchhiking always comes with an element of risk and is unreliable as an airport transfer, as locals will often take their time, making a few stops here and there, before getting to the agreed destination. Learn more about hitchhiking in Tonga here.
Accommodation Airport Transfers
As a general rule, the cheapest type of organised airport transfer is a transfer organised with your accommodation. Especially when travelling between Fua’amotu Airport and Nuku’alofa, accommodations tend to only charge TOP$15-$30 for a one-way transfer, while taxis will charge TOP$30-$50. Airport transfer prices tend to differ between accommodations outside of Nuku’alofa, so it’s always worth inquiring first before making a decision based on price.
Price of Accommodation Airport Transfers in Tonga
- Fua’amotu Airport – Nuku’alofa: TOP$15-$30
- Fua’amotu Airport – Elsewhere on Tongatapu: TOP$30-$60
- Fua’amotu Airport – Outer islands of Tongatapu: TOP$60-$80
- Kaufana Airport – Accommodation: TOP$4-$20
- Salote Pilolevu Airport – Lifuka/Foa Island accommodation: TOP$3-$65
- Salote Pilolevi Airport – Outer islands of Ha’apai: TOP$30-$70
- Lupepau’u Airport – Vava’u mainland: TOP$30-$50
- Lupepau’u Airport – Outer islands of Vava’u: TOP$60-$230
Taxis for Tonga’s Airports
Taxis wait eagerly at Fua’amotu Airport in Tongatapu and Lupepau’u Airport in Vava’u for incoming flights. Taxis are only sometimes available from Salote Pilolevu Airport in Ha’apai. They offer reasonable fares to destinations but are marginally more expensive than taking an accommodation transfer to Nuku’alofa, for instance. However, elsewhere in Tonga, they are well worth comparing with other airport transfer prices, often providing something a little cheaper.
Note that taxis are only reliably available in Tongatapu, Vava’u, and less so in Ha’apai. There are no taxis in ‘Eua. Learn more about taxis in Tonga here.
Price of Airport Taxis in Tonga
- Fua’amotu Airport – Nuku’alofa: TOP$30-$50
- Fua’amotu Airport – West side resorts: TOP$50-$60
- Lupepau’u Airport – Neiafu: TOP$25-$30
- Lupepau’u Airport – ‘Utungake Island: TOP$30-$50
- Salote Pilolevu Airport – Pangai: TOP$10
Find out more about taxi prices in Taxi Prices in Tonga: The Costs You Need to Know.
More About the Cheapest Airport Transfer Options in Tonga
- How Much Does a Tonga Airport Taxi Cost?
- 10 Things to Know About Taxis in Tonga
- How to Get Around Tonga
That’s it for the guide to the cheapest airport transfer options in Tonga. Now head over to Everything You Need to Know About Arriving in Tonga or get even more advice in our 31 Tips for Travelling in Tonga.