Taxi Rates in Tonga
How much does a taxi cost in Tonga? Taxis offer a fairly affordable way to get around the islands of Tongatapu and Vava’u’s main island and causeway-connected islands. They’ll get you from A to B, just like a taxi anywhere in the world. In this guide to the taxi prices in Tonga, we’ve listed some of the typical taxi fares experienced on the most popular routes. We only list prices for Tongatapu and Vava’u, as taxi operators change so often in Ha’apai that prices would probably go out-of-date immediately. As for ‘Eua and The Niuas, there are no taxi services on these islands.
For more taxi talk, check out the Guide to Taxis in Tonga and Catching a Cab in Tonga: Everything You Need to Know.
Tips About Taking a Taxi in Tonga
- Tonga is an ever-evolving country, where some of the taxis may charge different fares to what’s stated below. Be sure to ask for an approximate price before agreeing to a ride
- Guesthouses might say that they are arranging a “taxi” for you, but know that most of the time its a family member giving you a ride
- Registered taxis in Tonga have a “T” at the beginning of their registration plate
- Taxis do not operate on Sundays
For more tips, see 10 Things to Know About Taxis in Tonga.
Taxi Prices in Tongatapu
Some taxis in Tongatapu run on metres with a minimum fare of TOP$3 for the first kilometre and around TOP$1.50 for every kilometre after that. Others, you will need to ask for the approximate cost of the trip so you know what to expect. All prices below are approximate, one-way and for a taxi load.
Fares you might encounter in Tongatapu include:
- Fua’amotu Airport – Nuku’alofa: Around TOP$30-$50
- Fua’amotu Airport International Terminal-Domestic Terminal: Around TOP$5
- Around Nuku’alofa: Around TOP$5-$8
Learn more about transport in Tongatapu in the 10 Ways to Get to Tongatapu (& Around Tongatapu).
Taxi Prices in Vava’u
Taxis in Vava’u typically have set rates between certain destinations, where rates have been recommended by the Labour and Commerce Department.
Taxi Prices in Vava’u
All of the below taxi rates are approximate, one-way and are for a taxi load. It’s best to ask taxi prices before agreeing to a rate so you know what you’re expecting.
- Lupepauʻu Airport – Neiafu: Around TOP$25
- Lupepauʻu Airport – Toula Village (Hakula Lodge, Twin View Motel): Around TOP$30
- Neiafu – ‘Utungake Island (Tongan Beach Resort, Mystic Sands): Around TOP$35
- Neiafu – Talihau: Around TOP$40
- Neiafu – ‘Ano/Hinakauea Beaches – Around TOP$25
- Neiafu – ‘Ene’io Botanical Gardens: Around TOP$20
- Neiafu – Pangai: Around TOP$35
- Neiafu – Mt Talau – Around TOP$5-$10
- Neiafu – ‘Utula’aina Lookout – Around TOP$40-$50
Taxi Tours/Driver Hire
On Vava’u, it’s also possible to hire a driver for a few hours to explore the main island of Vava’u and its connecting islands. This is where prices vary between taxis the most, so it’s best to negotiate a price with the driver. Tours start from TOP$25 and have an hourly rate.
Find out more about transport in Vava’u in the 10 Ways to Get to Vava’u (& Around Vava’u).
More About Taxi Prices in Tonga
That’s it for our guide to taxi prices in Tonga. Be sure to bookmark our Tonga Transport Guide: 10 Ways to Get Around Tonga for even more transport tips. Plus, get budgeting advice from the Tonga Travel Budget: How Much Does a Trip to Tonga Cost?