Advice on Choosing Honeymoon Accommodation in Tonga
You can be forgiven for overthinking your accommodation for your once-in-a-lifetime occasion. Tonga provides a unique South Pacific getaway experience for honeymooning couples looking to mix adventure with stunning island scenery. But which honeymoon accommodation in Tonga should you consider? We go over some advice for choosing your ideal Tonga honeymoon accommodation in the guide below.
By the way, be sure to bookmark The Honeymoon & Romantic Getaway Guide to Tonga for more honeymooning tips!
5 Tips for Staying in Tonga Accommodation for Your Honeymoon
- Although there are accommodations in luxurious island settings, there are no five-star accommodations in Tonga, so it’s best to set your expectations right
- If you’re hoping to get married at a Tonga resort, know that you need to be in the country for at least one month before you can apply for a marriage licence – get the details in What are the Marriage Requirements in Tonga?
- Mention that it is for your honeymoon when booking your accommodation and you may receive a treat!
- Accommodation standards are a little lower than what you might be used to, as Tonga is a developing country
- Some accommodations in Tonga are known for changing facilities and services without updating listings on their website and brochures, so be sure to inquire about any deal-breaker facilities you need.
Types of Honeymoon Accommodation in Tonga
Of course, couples shape their own honeymoon to how they want it to be, whether it’s a budget getaway or a luxury island escape. Either way, honeymooners looking for something special tend to choose one of Tonga’s resorts, lodges, apartments or holiday homes.
Resorts are one of the most popular choices when it comes to honeymoon accommodations in Tonga. The term “resort” is used quite loosely in Tonga, in that it usually refers to an accommodation with at least a couple of units or “fales” on or close to the beachfront. Resorts typically have dining options, which are either a restaurant or set meals for guests, while they also offer activities and entertainment. Check out some examples in The Top 25 Resorts in Tonga, as well as see what facilities to expect in How to Choose the Best Resort in Tonga for You.
You can find some upmarket lodges that are ideal for a couples’ stay in the capital in Nuku’alofa. Lodges have a small number of guest rooms with ensuites and either a restaurant or a communal kitchen. Check out some examples in the 10 Best Lodges in Tonga and see what facilities to expect in How to Choose the Best Lodge in Tonga for You.
Apartments and Holiday Homes
For couples who want to be fully independent during their stay in Tonga, choosing an apartment or a holiday home is a good option. They have self-catering facilities and all your usual homely amenities, while some have luxurious extras, such as a private dock, kayaks, a deck with a pool table, etc. Check out some examples in 20 Best Holiday Homes in Tonga and 10 Best Holiday Apartments in Tonga, as well as what facilities to expect in How to Choose the Best Holiday Home in Tonga for You.
Accommodation Standards in Tonga
It’s important to set a few expectations straight before checking into your accommodation in Tonga. Tonga is a developing country with a younger tourism industry and, in turn, less expertise than some of the more developed tourist hubs of the South Pacific. Some accommodations can be pretty basic, and not all of your usual facilities are provided. Tonga is more basic, so it is best to keep an open mind.
Location, What is Nearby and How to Get There?
Tonga offers a couple of different holiday experiences: staying on one of the main islands while exploring its attractions or a beach-style holiday at one of the more remote islands. Both of these experiences can be enjoyed on the island groups of Tongatapu, ‘Eua, Ha’apai and Vava’u. Choose an island group destination by comparing the following guides:
- The Honeymoon & Romantic Getaway Guide to Tongatapu
- The Honeymoon & Romantic Getaway Guide to ‘Eua
- The Honeymoon & Romantic Getaway Guide to Ha’apai
- The Honeymoon & Romantic Getaway Guide to Vava’u.
How to Get There
Once you have chosen your desired island group, it’s time to figure out the best way to get there, weighing the ease and your budget. Check out the following articles for advice:
- 10 Ways to Get to (& Around) Tongatapu
- 5 Ways to Get to (& Around) ‘Eua
- 5 Ways to Get to (& Around) Ha’apai
- 10 Ways to Get to (& Around) Vava’u
What is Nearby
Finally, it’s a good idea to understand what shops, attractions, services, etc. will be close (or not so close) to your chosen accommodation in Tonga so that you can prepare accordingly. If you want to try different restaurants or visit different attractions, make sure you’re in the right place to do so. If you need to buy groceries for your self-catering accommodation, make sure there are shops around. Likewise, if you’re going to be on an undeveloped island, make sure you’re prepared.
Check out the links below on where are accommodations are located and what’s nearby, as well as a compilation of honeymoon accommodations based on location:
- Where to Stay on Tongatapu and 10 Best Honeymoon Accommodations on Tongatapu
- Where to Stay on ‘Eua and 5 Best Honeymoon Accommodations on ‘Eua
- Where to Stay in Ha’apai and 5 Best Honeymoon Resorts in Ha’apai
- Where to Stay in Vava’u and 10 Best Honeymoon Accommodations in Vava’u.
Price and What’s Included in Your Stay?
Finally, you want to make sure you’re getting good value out of your honeymoon, which not only means choosing an accommodation within your budget, but also making sure they provide the services and have the facilities that you need (and want).
The Cost of Honeymoon Accommodation in Tonga
The nightly rate of honeymoon accommodation in Tonga greatly differs between accommodations, but there is usually something to suit most budgets. Some typical prices for accommodation in Tonga include:
- Lodge room ensuite/night – TOP$150-$250
- Resort fale/night – TOP$460-$1,200
- Holiday home/night – TOP$250-$1,020
See more examples of accommodation prices in Tonga Travel Budget: How Much Does a Trip to Tonga Cost?
Honeymoon Accommodation Inclusions
Many of Tonga’s resorts and accommodation are not just about having a bed for the night but a full holiday experience. A price might be “high” but check what the price actually includes. Compare the inclusions to the facilities you would otherwise pay for. Some inclusions to look out for and compare include:
- Car park (if on an island with roads)
- Hot water
- Fans or air-conditioning
- Insect screens on the windows or mosquito nets
- Kitchen or kitchenette
- Free Breakfast
- Swimming pool
- Ocean views
- Private deck or balcony
- Washing machine
- Tea and coffee
- In-house tours or activities for guests
- Watersports rental
- Bottle of wine
- Bike hire
- Car rental
- Airport transfers.
Wedding Packages and Venues
Wedding packages take the guesswork out of planning an overseas wedding, offering a range of inclusions. Although there are some accommodations with wedding venues, organising a elopement in Tonga can be a challenge for foreign couples who need to be in the country for at least a month before applying for a marriage license. See How to Organise Your Wedding in Tonga to learn more.
Although there are no formal honeymoon packages in Tonga, some accommodations will include an extra treat for honeymooners, such as complimentary bottle or wine or sparkling wine and/or a special turndown service of your room. It doesn’t hurt to mention that it is your honeymoon when booking.
More About How to Pick a Honeymoon Accommodation in Tonga
That’s it for how to pick a honeymoon accommodation in Tonga. If you need more advice, how about tips from our other accommodation selection guides?
- How to Pick the Best Luxury Accommodation in Tonga
- How to Pick the Best Resort in Tonga
- How to Pick the Best Foodie Accommodation in Tonga
- How to Pick the Best Lodge in Tonga
- How to Pick the Best Villa in Tonga for You
- How to Pick the Best Budget Accommodation in Tonga
- How to Pick the Best Guesthouse in Tonga
Now with a bit of research behind you, you can start selecting the perfect honeymoon accommodation for you with Where to Stay in Tonga: The Best Accommodations in Tonga.