What is the Weather Like in Tonga in October?
It’s the calm before the storm. October is officially the last month of the dry season, but you might not feel like the wet season is coming any time soon with some of the usually wettest islands, like Vava’u, experiencing their driest time of the year! However, you might find some rainy days toward the end of the month and the temperatures begin to rise, yet it’s still pretty comfortable for an island adventure. Check out the average temperatures, rainfall and more in this guide to the Tonga weather in October.
Before we jump into this weather guide for October, be sure to bookmark Tonga Weather by Month: What is the Weather Like in Tonga? for more advice.
5 Tips for Visiting Tonga in October
- October is the official end of the whale season in Tonga. Whale swimming in Tongatapu is usually better than in Vava’u when the whales start migrating south
- Pack a light jacket or a sweater for the cooler nights or windy boat trips
- The rainfall typically starts to increase toward the end of October, so time your trip earlier if you want to avoid it
- The tourist season starts to quieten down, making it a good time to find cheaper airfares and accommodation rates
- The UV levels are high in October, so be sure to apply high-factor reef-safe sunscreen often!
Typical Temperatures in October
It’s the final month of winter in Tonga, where it’s still cool enough on the islands of Tongatapu and ‘Eua but temperatures start to creep up, especially on Vava’u and the Ha’apai islands. Humidity remains at a moderate level during October.
Maximum average temperatures are usually around 29°C / 84°F, while the minimum average is around 20°C / 67°F. The latter is usually experienced at night.
Temperatures Across Tonga
- Tongatapu & Nuku’alofa – The average maximum temperature is 26°C / 80°F and the average minimum temperature is 20°C / 67°F
- Vava’u – The average maximum temperature is 28°C / 82°F and the average minimum temperature is 22°C / 72°F
- Ha’apai – The average maximum temperature is 27°C / 81°F and the average minimum temperature is 21°C / 70°F
- ‘Eua – The average maximum temperature is 26°C / 80°F and the average minimum temperature is 20°C / 67°F
- The Niuas – The average maximum temperature is 29°C / 84°F and the average minimum temperature is 23°C / 73°F.
Sea Temperature in October
Tonga has warm sea temperatures throughout the year, in October averaging 25°C / 78°F.
Hours of Sun in October
As Tonga transitions from the winter season to the summer season, the days start to get longer. The average hours of daylight in October is 13 hours, while there are typically 5 hours of bright sunshine each day. All in all, October’s sunshine hours meet the requirements of most sun-seeking visitors!
UV Levels During October
October’s UV levels creep back up to extremes, making it essential to protect yourself from the sun. The UV level in October is typically 11 UV index around midday. Be sure to wear sunscreen and follow our advice in The Best Sunscreens for Tonga + Sun Protection Tips.
Sunrise and Sunset During October
October has daylight hours lasting around 13 hours a day in Tonga.
- Sunrise – 6:23 am at the beginning of October and 5:59 am at the end of October
- Sunset – 6:39 pm at the beginning of October and 6:50 pm at the end of October.
Learn more about the local time zone in What is the Tonga Time Zone?
Rainfall in October
The wet season might be looming, but October experiences its least amount of rain days in Tonga of the year! The average days of rain in October is 11 days, where the islands of Vava’u and Ha’apai have their least amount of rain of the year – a good time to explore the islands.
Tonga receives an average of 128 mm / 5 in of rainfall in the month of October, with around 11 days out of October experiencing rain.
Average Rainfall Across Tonga
- Tongatapu & Nuku’alofa – The average rainfall in October is 128 mm / 5 in
- Vava’u – The average rainfall in October is 90 mm / 3.5 in
- Ha’apai – The average rainfall in October is 90 mm / 3.5 in
- ‘Eua – The average rainfall in October is 128 mm / 5 in
- The Niuas – The average rainfall in October is 175 mm / 6.9 in.
If you do find yourself caught in the rain, check out the 15 Things to Do in Tonga on a Rainy Day.
Tropical Storms in October
The South Pacific cyclone season starts in November and ends in April. While it’s unlikely for cyclones to develop in October in Tonga, cyclones have been known to develop elsewhere in the South Pacific during this month. With that in mind, it’s a good idea to be aware of cyclone alerts. Check out How to Prepare for a Cyclone in Tonga for more tips.
Best Places to Visit in Tonga in October
While there are no special events in Tonga in October, it’s a good time to catch some good weather – particularly in the northern islands – and catch the end of the whale season at the beginning of the month.
Vava’u – With usually calm weather in October, it’s a good time to catch a flight to the northern island group of Vava’u. Although the whale season is drawing to a close, there are still some stunning island accommodations to relax in, amazing sea caves to snorkel inside, and the bustling town of Neiafu to check out. Learn more about visiting Vava’u in The Complete Guide to Vava’u.
Ha’apai – Soak up the last of the dry season sun in eco-fales and resorts almost all to yourself in this less busy time of the year. There may be a few whale swims available, or you can just relax in a hammock and perfect the art of doing nothing! Get more inspiration for the islands of Ha’apai in The Complete Guide to Ha’apai.
October Packing List for Tonga
A tropical wardrobe is a good idea for a trip to Tonga in October. Here are a few more recommendations for your October packing list…
- High-factor (and reef-safe) sunscreen
- Light bamboo, linen or merino layers (we like the sustainable bamboo clothing of Moso Morrow)
- Light pants/skirt (for the cooler evenings and to cover the skin in areas where you need to dress more modestly)
- Light jacket (for the evenings or for on boat trips)
- Rash vest (we like the UV-protecting Sharkskin rashies)
- Sarong (lavalava)
- Closed walking shoes
- Insect repellent.
Get more packing ideas with The Complete Packing List for Tonga.
More About the Tonga Weather
That’s it for our complete guide to the weather and climate in Tonga in October. Check out the following articles for more weather advice:
- Tonga Weather, Seasons & Climate + Tonga Weather by Month
- The Best Time to Visit Tonga
- The Top Events & Festivals in Tonga