What is the Weather Like in Tonga in April?
With April being in Tonga’s tropical wet season, it brings a whole new meaning to the phrase “April Showers”. Nevertheless, April is the last season of the wet season, starting to transition into a drier climate that appeals to most sun-seeking holidaymakers. But for those still wanting a quiet time to visit Tonga, where accommodations and attractions have very few tourists, April is a great time to do it. The downside is that some of the more far-flung island groups will still have operators with their doors closed for the low season. As for typical temperatures, rainfall and more, check out the guide below to the Tonga weather in April!
Before we jump into this weather guide for April, be sure to bookmark Tonga Weather by Month: What is the Weather Like in Tonga? for more advice.
5 Tips for Travelling Tonga in April
- April falls into the tourist low season in Tonga, so look out for good deals on flights and accommodation!
- Allow extra time to travel between Tonga’s far-flung islands, as flights are often cancelled in bad weather
- Note that some tour operators close down for the low season, especially on islands like Vava’u
- Wear high-factor (and reef-safe) sunscreen to protect against the high UV levels
- Mosquitoes are more active during Tonga’s wet season, so be sure to pack insect repellent and check out the 10 Ways to Avoid Mosquito Bites in Tonga.
Typical Temperatures in April
Tonga starts its transition from summer to winter during April, with temperatures starting to drop (steadily) and the humidity lifting. Temperatures in April can still reach an average maximum of 30°C / 86°F, while the lowest temperatures are around 22°C / 69°F often at night.
Temperatures Across Tonga
- Tongatapu & Nuku’alofa – The average maximum temperature is 29°C / 80°F and the minimum average temperature is 22°C / 69°F
- Vava’u – The average maximum temperature is 30°C / 86°F and the minimum average temperature is 23°C / 73°F
- Ha’apai – The average maximum temperature is 29°C / 84°F and the minimum average temperature is 23°C / 73°F
- ‘Eua – The average maximum temperature is 29°C / 80°F and the minimum average temperature is 22°C / 69°F
- The Niuas – The average maximum temperature is 30°C / 86°F and the minimum average temperature is 24°C / 75°F
Sea Temperature in April
Tonga has warm sea temperatures all year round, making it ideal for water sports. Sea temperatures in April are at an average of 28°C / 82°F.
Hours of Sun in April
With that change of season, days start to get ever so slightly shorter in April. Daylight hours are at an average of 12 hours, while the sunshine hours are often around 6 hours. All in all, expect to still get a good amount of sun for a Tonga getaway in April.
UV Levels During April
While UV levels are not as high as previous months, they are still around 10+ UV index around midday. With this in mind, be sure to lather up the sunscreen during April in Tonga. For advice on what sunscreen to use in Tonga, that’s safe for you and the coral reefs, take a look at our 10 Best Environmentally Friendly Sunscreens for Tonga.
Sunrise and Sunset During April
April has daylight hours lasting around 12 hours a day in Tonga.
- Sunrise – 6.48am at the beginning of April and 6.58am at the end of April
- Sunset – 6.41pm at the beginning of April and 6.18pm at the end of April
Learn more about the time zone in Tonga in What is the Tonga Time Zone?.
Rainfall in April
Still officially in the wet season, April typically experiences its fair share of rain. The average days of the month with rain in April are 17 days. Rainfall patterns tend to be short and heavy, often followed quickly by sunshine, so be prepared for both when you’re out and about! Note that bad weather can affect flights and make ferry crossings a little uncomfortable for those with, let’s say, weaker stomachs.
Tonga receives an average of 165mm / 6.5″ of rainfall in the month of April, with around 17 days out of April experiencing rain.
Average Rainfall Across Tonga
- Tongatapu & Nuku’alofa – The average rainfall in April is 165mm / 6.5″
- Vava’u – The average rainfall in April is 190mm / 7.5″
- Ha’apai – The average rainfall in April is 190mm / 7.5″
- ‘Eua – The average rainfall in April is 165mm / 6.5″
- The Niuas – The average rainfall in April is 250mm / 9.8″
Tropical Storms in April
The South Pacific cyclone season starts in November and ends in April, so it’s still best to check cyclone warnings for Tonga during April. Get advice on how to do so in How to Prepare for a Cyclone in Tonga.
Historically, Tonga experienced some effects from Cyclone Keni in April 2018. The cyclone caused a power blackout on the island of ‘Eua. The rest of Tonga went by relatively unscathed.
For those wishing to avoid any risk of experiencing a cyclone in Tonga, it’s best to avoid travelling to Tonga in April.
Best Places to Visit in Tonga in April
With the weather getting more appealing for sun-seeking holidaymakers and backpackers, some of Tonga’s more remote islands with glorious resorts and eco-fales are a great option. Catch them during the quiet season before the tourist crowds arrive for the summer. The main hub of Tongatapu is also worth spending at least a few days checking out the Easter ceremonies in this nation of devout Christians.
Tongatapu – While the weather is still a little “iffy” causing some flight cancellations, April is a good time to explore Tonga’s main island, Tongatapu. Check out a church service around the Easter period to experience the singing of passionate locals. Visit Tongatapu’s most popular caves, blowholes, beaches and historical sites with virtually no other tourists around. Find out more about what to do in Tongatapu in The Complete Guide to Tongatapu.
Ha’apai – When the shops and services of Tonga’s main hubs are closed for four days over the Easter period, it’s a good time to escape to an idyllic island resort. One of the best islands for such an island getaway is in the islands of Ha’apai, home to white-sand beaches, swaying coconut palms and azure waters. Learn more about Ha’apai in The Complete Guide to Ha’apai.
April Packing List for Tonga
Sun, rain, wind… It can all happen in April. Be prepared by packing right for the islands of Tonga! Here are just a few essentials to pack for April:
- High-factor sunscreen (that’s reef-safe and water-resistant)
- Light rain jacket
- Light and airy cotton layers
- Light long-sleeved tops (to cover from sun and mosquitoes)
- Light pants/trousers (to cover the knees when appropriate – church service at Easter, for example)
- Insect repellent
- Flip-flops or sandals
- Sarong (lavalava)
Get more packing ideas with The Complete Packing List for Tonga.