How Long Can You Stay in Tonga as a Visitor?
Once you discover the rich culture, the historical sites, the turquoise waters and the incredible marine life of Tonga, it can be oh-so-hard to leave! Visitors to Tonga have the opportunity to stay in the country for an entire month (or maybe three) to make the most of the “Friendly Islands”. However, if one month is not enough, there’s the opportunity to extend your visa to stay for up to six months! Should you want to stay in Tonga for other purposes, whether it’s work or business, other visa options with longer lengths of stay are available. Find how long you can stay in Tonga on a Visitor Visa in the guide below!
For more arrival tips, see Arriving in Tonga: Airport Customs, Biosecurity & Arrival Process.
Do I Need a Visa for Tonga?
Tourist permits are granted to international passport holders entering Tonga if from a visa-waiver country and the entry conditions are met, including how long your passport is valid beyond the date of intended stay, evidence of an outbound ticket, and any other current entry requirements.
If a non-Tongan passport holder is a citizen from a country NOT on the visa-waiver list, they require a letter of authority allowing them to travel to Tonga and apply on arrival to Tonga for a visitor’s visa.
See Tonga Tourist Visa: Do You Need a Visa to Visit Tonga? for a full guide on the entry conditions for visitors.
How Long Can You Stay in Tonga on a Visitor Visa?
How long can you visit Tonga? On a standard tourist visa that is granted upon arrival into Tonga, the following duration of stay applies:
- For all international passport holders from a visa-waiver country, the Tonga tourist visa allows you a stay of up to 31 days in Tonga
- For all international passport holders with an Entry Permit and applying for a Visitor Visa on arrival, the Tonga tourist visa allows you a stay of up to 31 days in Tonga
- For all international passport holders from a Schengen member country, the Tonga tourist visa allows you to stay for up to 90 days in Tonga.
For more conditions of your tourist visa, as well as a list of visa-waiver and Schengen countries, check out our Tonga Tourist Visa: Do You Need a Visa to Visit Tonga?
How to Stay in Tonga for Longer: Extending Your Visitor Visa
If you wish to stay for longer than one month in Tonga as a visitor, then you will need to apply for a Visitor’s Visa Extension. A visa extension allows the holder to stay in Tonga for an additional five months, making it six months in total from the date they arrived in Tonga.
Where to Apply for a Visitor’s Visa Extension
Visitor Visa extensions can be applied for in Tonga while on a valid Visitor’s Visa. You can extend your length of stay through the Immigration Division offices, in Nuku’alofa or Neiafu at the following addresses:
- Nuku’alofa, Tongatapu: Government Building, corner of Vuna and Taufa’ahau Roads, Nuku’alofa city centre
- Neiafu, Vava’u: Level 1, Sanft Building (overlooking small boat marina), Neiafu.
You can also get in contact with the Immigration Division via:
- +676 26 969 or +676 26 970
Alternatively, apply for an extended Visitor’s Visa from overseas through your local Tonga consulate or consular sections at the Embassy/High Commission.
Note that there is a fee to extend your Visitor’s Visa, usually approximately TOP$130. Allow around five working days for processing.
Conditions of the Extended Visitor’s Visa:
- The extended visa is valid for up to six months from the date of entry
- You hold a valid travel ticket to depart Tonga
- You have sufficient funds to financially maintain your stay
- You do not take up any employment, business and/or education while in Tonga.
Other Visas to Stay in Tonga for Longer
Visitors already in Tonga cannot apply for another visa apart from the Visitor’s Visa Extension. To stay longer in Tonga, you will need to hold another type of visa, which must be applied for from overseas.
Six types of visas for Tonga are available:
- Visitor’s Visa
- Assured Income Visa
- Employment Visa
- Business Visa
- Student Visa
- Residency Visa
For more information, see What Visas are Available to Travel to Tonga?
More About How Long You Can Stay in Tonga
That’s it for the guide to how long you can stay in Tonga on a Visitor Visa. For more information about staying in Tonga, take a look at the following:
- Tonga Tourist Visa: Do You Need a Visa to Visit Tonga?
- What Visas Are Available to Travel to Tonga
- What Documents Do I Need to Travel to Tonga?
Finally, get even more advice in our 31 Tips for Travelling in Tonga.