Learn About Tonga with Some Fun Facts!
Every parent wants to make sure the whole family gets the most out of a trip to a new country. Tonga is a fascinating nation with a captivating culture, breathtaking landscapes and wildlife that kids love. Get your children excited for their family holiday to Tonga by sharing some interesting, random and even funny facts about Tonga with them! We’ve compiled as many facts as possible in this list of fun facts about Tonga for kids.
Things to Do in Tonga with Kids
Before we dive into the fun facts, here are a few activities in Tonga you might want to consider doing as a family.
- Go for a dip inside the ‘Anahulu Cave
- Watch awesome blowholes shooting up water at the Mapu ‘a Vaea Blowholes
- See the fishes on one of the amazing snorkelling tours
- See the wild horses and play on the rock gardens in ‘Eua
- Get out on the water in a kayak
Get more inspiration for your family holiday with our Family-Friendly Tonga Destination Guides.
Fun Facts About the Islands
Learn something new, interesting and perhaps a little random in this list of fun facts about the islands of Tonga – ideal for sharing with kids!
Fun Facts About Tonga
- Tonga has 170 islands
- Only 36 of them are inhabited
- The capital of Tonga is Nuku’alofa and it’s on the island of Tongatapu
- The airport runway in Ha’apai has a main road passing through it
- The island group of The Niuas is closer to Samoa than it is to Tonga’s other islands
- There is a disappearing and reappearing island in Ha’apai called Fonuafo’ou
See more interesting facts in the 10 Fun Facts About Tonga.
Fun Facts About the Tongan Language
The different languages heard when visiting a new exotic place always sticks with adults and little ones alike. Here are some interesting facts about the Tongan language.
Fun Facts About the Languages in Tonga
- Tongans speak Tongan and English
- The Tongan language is called “Fakatonga”
- Tongans use different words for numbering coconuts than they do for fish
- There are different words for addressing different classes of people
- People living in Niuafo’ou have their own unique language
Learn more about the Tongan language in Guide to the Tongan Language.
Fun Facts About Tongan History
Ok, not all kids are into history, but they might just like these fun facts about things that have happened in Tonga.
Fun Facts About the History in Tonga
- The island of Niuafo’ou used to be called “Tin Can Island” because the only way ships could get mail to the island was to put mail in a biscuit tin and throw it into the water near the island
- The swimmer who retrieved the biscuit tin for Tin Can Island was taken out by a shark
- King Taufa’ahau Tupou IV still holds the Guinness Book Record for being the world’s heaviest king
- British explorer, James Cook, was lured to a feast by a Tongan chief so the chief and his men could ambush Cook and his crew. However, the plan was abandoned and James Cook ironically named Tonga the “Friendly Islands”
- Tonga is the only Pacific country to have never been colonised.
Learn more about Tongan history in A Brief History of Tonga.
Fun Facts About the Tonga Wildlife
Tonga is also home to an abundance of interesting wildlife, from a small selection of birds and bats to countless marine creatures. Check out some fun facts about them in the list below!
Fun Facts About the Wildlife in Tonga
- Bats, or flying foxes, are the property of the king
- There are around 660 species of fish in Tonga
- Whales travel 4,830km (3,000 miles) from Antarctica to get to Tonga
- Tonga is one of the few places in the world where you are allowed to swim with whales
- There is one venomous snake in Tonga, the sea snake, however, they cannot break through human skin to bite you even if they were interested
- There are three species of sea turtles in Tonga
See what type of wildlife you can see in Tonga in A Traveller’s Guide to Wildlife in Tonga.