Bicycle Rental Locations in Tonga
Exploring Tonga’s flat islands with the warm island breeze running through your hair is an amazing way to explore the islands. Bicycle hire is abundant in Tonga, with bikes available to rent on the four major island groups. While there are rental companies with affordable daily rates, you can also find guest houses and resorts that hire bikes out to guests free of charge! Check out the locations of where to rent bicycles in Tonga in the guide below.
For more cycle speak, head to The Guide to Cycling in Tonga and Can You Do Mountain Biking in Tonga?.
Tips for Hiring a Bicycle in Tonga
- An ID is sometimes required to hire a bike in Tonga
- A credit card or cash deposit may be required for some bike hire (particularly for e-bikes)
- Note that there is usually a late-return fee which is usually more than the day rate itself
- If you plan to do a lot of cycling, bring your own puncture repair kit
- Always ask for the newest bike
- Be aware of the road rules in Tonga
For more tips, see 10 Tips for Cycling in Tonga.
Bicycle Hire in Tongatapu
An easy ride on the waterfront of Nuku’alofa or around the quiet roads of Tongatapu is a great way to spend some time on a bike on Tonga’s main island. Bike hire is available in Nuku’alofa, as well as at a few resorts around the island. Bikes are free at certain accommodations, while bike rental companies will charge around TOP$20 for the full-day hire of a standard bike, and around TOP$50 for a full-day hire of an e-bike.
Where to Rent a Bike in Tongatapu
Bicycle rental is available from the following companies and locations:
- TongaBike – Based at Seaview Lodge and Sit Solar Island Technology on Vuna Road, Nuku’alofa. They offer e-bike rentals.
- Kingdom Travel Centre – Based at the corner of Vuna Road and Fatafehi Road, Nuku’alofa. They offer cruiser bike rentals.
- NOA Guesthouse – Based on Wellington Road, Nuku’alofa. They offer standard bike rentals.
- Liku’alofa Beach Resort – Based at ‘Otuhaka Beach, Kanokupolu. They offer standard bike rentals.
- Heilala Holiday Lodge – Based at Ha’atafu Beach, Kanokupolu. Free bike hire for guests.
- Tonga Holiday Villa – Based on Tamakautonga Road, Nukua’lofa. They offer standard bike hire and bike tours.
Check out some recommended cycle routes at The Best Cycling Routes in Tongatapu.
Bicycle Hire in ‘Eua
Accommodation on the island of ‘Eua offers bicycle rentals to guests for a fee. The cost is approximately TOP$10 for a half-day and TOP$20 for a full-day hire. Distances are quite deceiving on ‘Eua, so it’s best to seek advice on the best routes to take from your accommodation host before you head out.
Where to Rent a Bike in ‘Eua
- Taina’s Place – Based on Telefoni Road. Standard bike hire is available for a fee
- The Hideaway – Based just north of Tufuvai Beach. Standard bike hire is available for a fee.
Bicycle Hire in Ha’apai
Bicycles are a popular way to make your way around the islands of Lifuka and Foa in the Ha’apai group. Many resorts offer free use of bikes for guests, while some guesthouses have bikes available for a fee. Additionally, the Mariner’s Cafe in Pangai also offers bikes for around TOP$15 a day.
Where to Rent a Bike in Ha’apai
- Matafonua Lodge – Based at the top of Foa Island. Free bike hire for guests
- Sandy Beach Resort – Based at the top of Foa Island. Free bike hire for guests
- Ha’apai Beach Resort – Based down Fau Road, Pangai. Free bike hire for guests
- Billy’s Resort – Based on the eastern side of Lifuka Island (booking and directions are only available through the Evaloni Guesthouse). Free bike hire for guests
- Lindsay Guesthouse – Based in Pangai. Bike hire is available for a fee
- Evaloni Guesthouse – Based in Pangai. Bike hire is available for a fee
- Tiulipe Guest House – Based in Pangai. Bike hire is available for a fee
- Mariner’s Cafe – Based in Pangai. Bike hire is available for a fee
Bicycle Hire in Vava’u
Vava’u has a limited choice when it comes to bicycle rentals, with the only common outlet for bike hire being Tropicana Rentals. They offer full-day bike hire with a helmet for around TOP$30 a day. Alternatively, guests at Hakula Lodge have free mountain bike rental as a quick way to get into Neiafu from the lodge’s out-of-town location. Mountain bike tours are also available in Vava’u with the Friendly Islands Kayak Company.
Where to Rent a Bike in Vava’u
- Hakula Lodge – Based along Fatafehi Road between Neiafu and Toula Village. Free mountain bike hire for guests
- Friendly Islands Kayak Company – Guided mountain bike tours available including bike hire.