What Services are Available in Tongatapu?
Will you have access to the essential shops and services in Tongatapu? Well, Tongatapu is the best place to be in Tonga for having the convenience of supermarkets, conveniences stores, pharmacies, phone shops and more. With most of Tonga’s population living on this island, you can have peace of mind that most essential shops and services are available in Tongatapu. It’s also a good place to stock up if you intend to stay on one of the outer islands. Check out some of the shops and services available in Tongatapu in the guide below.
Useful Services for Tourists
- The Ministry of Tourism’s Visitor Information Centre – Vuna Road, Nuku’alofa
- Car Rentals – See The Best Car Rentals in Tongatapu for listings
- Taxis and buses – See Public Transport in Tonga for more information
- Restaurants – See the Guide to the Best Eats & Restaurants in Tongatapu for recommendations
- Ministry of Infrastructure (for the Visitor’s Driving Licence) – Alaivahamama’o Bypass Road.
Food and Groceries
Tongatapu has a wide range of supermarkets, fale koloa (convenience stores), as well as a market and plenty of roadside stalls.
Supermarkets in Tongatapu
Several supermarkets can be found in Nuku’alofa city, such as:
- Molisi City Supermarket, Salote Road
- US Minimart, Salote Road
- Sunny Ocean Super Store, corner of Vuna and Wellington Roads
- FoodWorld Supermarket, corner of Alaivahamama’o Bypass and Taufa’ahau Road
Tonga’s largest supermarket, Costlow, is located in Tofoa on Taufa’ahau Road. Small supermarkets are also present in some of Tongatapu’s villages, such as Mu’a.
Fale Koloa (Convenience Stores)
In villages, basic food essentials can be purchased from fale koloa, which are small convenience stores with meshed windows at the front of the building.
Market and Roadside Stalls
Fresh produce is bought from markets and roadside stalls in Tonga. Talamahu Market in Nuku’alofa (Salote Road) is the largest market in Tonga. Roadside stalls can be found around Nuku’alofa, as well as in some villages around Tongatapu.
Learn more about shopping for groceries in The Guide to Food Shopping in Tonga.
Medication, Toiletries and Pharmaceuticals
While light medications (like painkillers), baby products and toiletries are often sold in supermarkets and fale koloa around Tongatapu, other medications and speciality health products must be purchased from pharmacies.
Pharmacies in Tongatapu
Tongatapu’s pharmacies are located in Nuku’alofa, which include:
- Fasi Pharmacy, Fasi, Nuku’alofa
- Neeru’s Pharmacy, Wellington Road, Nuku’alofa
- Village Mission Pharmacy, Taufa’ahau Road, Nuku’alofa
Clinics and Hospital
For health care and obtaining prescriptions, there are clinics and a hospital in Nuku’alofa, such as:
- Dr. Ana Akauola Clinic, Longolongo
- Friendly Islands Dental Clinic, Salote Road, Nuku’alofa
- Universal Clinic Fasi, Fasi, Nuku’alofa
- Vaiola Hospital, Taufa’ahau Road, Nuku’alofa
Fuel Stations, Banks and Communication
All of your other services, from fuel stations to phone stores, can be found in Tongatapu.
Fuel Stations in Tongatapu
All of Tongatapu’s fuel stations can be found in or on the outskirts of Nuku’alofa, including:
- Pacific Gas Station, Suniua ‘Akaveka
- Shell Petrol Station, Hihifo Road
- Maui Gas Station, Hihifo Road
- Total Petrol Station, Wellington Road
- Total Petrol Station, Fatafehi Road
- Total Eve Service Station, Tamakautonga Road
- Konifelenisi Gas Station, Taufa’ahau Road
Phone, Internet and Post Office
For staying in touch, Digicel Tonga and Tonga Communications Corporation (TCC) are the phone network providers.
- Digicel Tonga, Kolofo’ou, Nuku’alofa
- TCC, Salote Road, Nuku’alofa
See The Best SIM Card in Tonga For Travellers for more information.
For mail, Tonga Post is the national post office, found in Nuku’alofa CBD on Vuna Road.
Finally, check out the options for WiFi and internet cafes in Nuku’alofa, including:
- Cafe Escape, Taufa’ahau Road
- Friends Cafe, Taufa’ahau Road
- Cafe Post, corner of Taufa’ahau and Salote Roads
Find out more in Where to Get WiFi in Tonga.
Banks in Tongatapu
Nuku’alofa has ATMs and banks, including:
- Tonga Development Bank, Fatafehi Road
- Tonga Development Bank, Tatakamototonga, Hahake
- Tonga Development Bank, Nukunuku, Hihifo
- ANZ, Vuna Road
- BSP, Vuna Road
There are also several currency exchange bureaus in the city centre.