What Services are Available in Nuku’alofa?
Just about all of Tonga’s main shops, services and information centres are located in its capital, Nuku’alofa. Nuku’alofa a good place to stock up on supplies before hitting the outer islands or to even base yourself should you prefer proximity to all of the city’s conveniences. So that you have an understanding of the essentials shops and services in Nuku’alofa, we’ve put together this quick guide to what’s available.
Useful Services for Tourists
- The Ministry of Tourism’s Visitor Information Centre – Vuna Road, Nuku’alofa
- Car Rentals – See The Best Car Rentals in Tongatapu for listings
- Taxis and buses – See 7 Ways to Get to Nuku’alofa (& Around Nuku’alofa) for more information
- Restaurants – See the Guide to the Best Eats & Restaurants in Nuku’alofa for recommendations
- Ministry of Infrastructure (if you need to get a Visitor’s Driving Licence) – Alaivahamama’o Bypass Road.
Food and Groceries
You’ll hardly struggle for food and groceries in Nuku’alofa, which has a wide range of supermarkets, fale koloa (convenience stores), as well as a market and roadside full of fruit and vegetable stalls.
Supermarkets in Nuku’alofa
Several supermarkets can be found in Nuku’alofa city, including:
- Molisi City Supermarket, Salote Road
- US Minimart, Salote Road
- Sunny Ocean Super Store, corner of Vuna and Wellington Roads
- FoodWorld Supermarket, corner of Alaivahamama’o Bypass and Taufa’ahau Road.
Supermarkets stock imports from New Zealand and Australia, as well as Tongan products.
Fale Koloa (Convenience Stores)
In the suburbs, basic food essentials can be purchased from fale koloa, which are small convenience stores with meshed windows at the front of the building, where you make exchanges with the store clerk. Learn more about how these work in The Guide to Food Shopping in Tonga.
Market and Roadside Stalls
Fresh produce is available from Talamahu Market on Salote Road. You can also purchase fruit and vegetables from roadside stalls found in many convenient locations in and around Nuku’alofa.
Medication, Toiletries & Pharmaceuticals
Although it is always recommended to bring all the medication you need during your stay in Tonga, as well as pack a first aid kit, which we advise on in What Medication to Pack in Your First Aid Kit for Tonga, you’ll still be able to medical supplies and various health and baby products in Nuku’alofa.
Supermarkets and Fale Koloa
Supermarkets and fale koloa sell basic light medications (such as painkillers), as well as essential health products, like feminine hygiene, baby products, beauty products, first aid supplies, etc.
Pharmacies in Nuku’alofa
There are several pharmacies in Nuku’alofa where you’ll be able to find more specialised medication and health products, which include:
- Fasi Pharmacy, Fasi
- Neeru’s Pharmacy, Wellington Road
- Village Mission Pharmacy, Taufa’ahau Road
Clinics and the Hospital
For health care and obtaining prescriptions, there are several clinics and a hospital in Nuku’alofa:
- Dr. Ana Akauola Clinic, Longolongo
- Friendly Islands Dental Clinic, Salote Road
- Universal Clinic Fasi, Fas
- Vaiola Hospital, Taufa’ahau Road
Fuel Stations, Banks and Communication
Some other essential services you can find in Nuku’alofa include fuel stations, phone stores, a post office, internet cafes, banks, currency exchange bureaus and ATMs.
Fuel Stations in Nuku’alofa
All of Nuku’alofa’s fuel stations can be found in or on the outskirts of the city, including:
- Pacific Gas Station, Suniua ‘Akaveka
- Shell Petrol Station, Hihifo Road
- Maui Gas Station, Hihifo Road
- Total Petrol Station, Wellington Road
- Total Petrol Station, Fatafehi Road
- Total Eve Service Station, Tamakautonga Road
- Konifelenisi Gas Station, Taufa’ahau Road
Phone, Internet and Post Office
For staying in touch, Digicel Tonga and Tonga Communications Corporation (TCC) are the phone network providers in Tonga. Their stores can be found in the following locations in Nuku’alofa:
- Digicel Tonga, Kolofo’ou
- TCC, Salote Road
See The Best SIM Card in Tonga For Travellers for more information.
For mail, Tonga Post is the national post office, found in Nuku’alofa CBD on Vuna Road, while if you want to stay connected through the internet, WiFi and internet cafes in Nuku’alofa include:
- Cafe Escape, Taufa’ahau Road
- Friends Cafe, Taufa’ahau Road
- Cafe Post, corner of Taufa’ahau and Salote Roads
Find out more in Where to Get WiFi in Tonga.
Banks in Nuku’alofa
Nuku’alofa has several ATMs and banks, including:
- Tonga Development Bank, Fatafehi Road
- ANZ, Vuna Road
- BSP, Vuna Road
There are also several currency exchange bureaus in the city centre.