The Price of Transport in Tonga
Any savvy traveller knows that the choice of transport has a huge impact on a travel budget. With multiple options for getting over land and water in Tonga, it’s important to understand your options, how long they will take, and what are the prices. For the latter, we go through the cost of transport in Tonga in the guide below.
Tips for Saving Money on Transport in Tonga
- Book domestic flights early, as prices rise closer to the departure date
- Domestic flight sales are frequent in the off-season in Tonga, as well as around Christmas
- Be aware of the domestic airline baggage allowance, which is 15kg (33lbs) for most flights. Going over 1kg (2lbs) over the baggage allowance can incur extra charges
- Know which ferries are the cheapest, the MV ‘Otuanga’ofa is cheaper than taking the MV Tongiaki, for instance
- Compare your airport transfer options, as accommodation transfer are cheaper than taxis to Nuku’alofa but this is often not the case elsewhere – see the Cheapest Airport Transfer Options in Tonga
- Guided land tours might be more worth it as a way of seeing the sights than hiring a car, with both options costing around TOP$100 for a full day yet car hire being twice the hassle.
For more budget advice, see 10 Tips for Travelling Tonga on a Budget.
The Cost of Road Transport in Tonga
With a good network of roads on Tongtapu and the main islands of Vava’u, these islands present several ways to get around on land. Travel independently with a rental car or get a taste of the local life by catching the bus. On smaller islands, like Lifuka in Ha’apai and ‘Eua, you can rely on bicycles and your accommodation provider to get around. For more information on each type of transport, see How to Get Around Tonga.
Land Transport Prices
- Bicycle rental/day – TOP$0-$30
- Visitor’s Driving Licence – TOP$40
- Scooter rental/day – TOP$50
- Car rental/day – TOP$40-$150
- Public bus/trip – TOP$0.70-$3
- Taxi/30 minutes – TOP$30-$50
- Guided land tour/6 hours – TOP$100
- Accommodation/airport transfers – TOP$4-$60
The Cost of Water Transport in Tonga
With Tonga spread across some 170 islands, your trip to the Kingdom is bound to involve some water travel. Whether it’s by a transfer in a small boat to your chosen island resort or taking one of the ferries to get between the island groups, there are a couple of ways to make your way over water in Tonga. Check out 10 Tips for Travelling Tonga by Boat for more advice.
Boat/Ferry Transport Prices
- Ferry/Tongatapu to Vava’u – TOP$80-$150
- Ferry/Tongatapu to ‘Eua – TOP$25-$30
- Ferry/Tongatapu to Ha’apai – TOP$65-$100
- Ferry/Vava’u to Ha’apai – TOP$70-$100
- Ferry/Vava’u to The Niuas – TOP$215-$250
- Island resort airport transfer – TOP$60-$230
For more prices, see How Much Do Ferries Cost in Tonga?
The Cost of Air Transport in Tonga
Finally, if you want to get between the island groups of Tonga is the fastest and most comfortable way possible, then domestic flights are your best bet. With only one domestic airline in Tonga, prices are not competitive. However, you tend to find cheaper rates the earlier you book. Get more flights advice in 10 Tips for Flying in Tonga.
Flight prices listed below are for adult fares for standard tickets only. For a full price list, see How Much Does it Cost to Fly in Tonga?
- Tongatapu to Vava’u – Around TOP$350
- Tongatapu to Ha’apai – Around TOP$230
- Tongatapu to ‘Eua – Around TOP$110
- Ha’apai to Vava’u – Around TOP$220
- Vava’u to Niuatoputapu – Around TOP$300
- Vava’u to Niuafo’ou – Around TOP$350