How to Get a Tourist Driving Licence in Tonga(c)
How to Get a Tourist Driving Licence in Tonga

How to Get a Tourist Driving Licence in Tonga


What is a Tourist Driving Licence?

A tourist driving licence, officially known as a Visitor’s Driving Licence (Temporary), is a licence that visitors that are not from visitor visa-exempt countries need to have in order to legally drive in Tonga. It is valid for three months since the date of issue and allows you to drive whatever vehicle you are licenced to drive in your home country. You can purchase a tourist driving licence from the Land Transport Division in Nuku’alofa or the Police Station in Neiafu, paying the applicable fee. Find out more about the tourist driving licence for Tonga in the guide below.

Wait! You Might Not Need a Visitor’s Driving Licence…

Drivers from the visitor visa-exempt countries with a valid full driving licence are entitled to drive in Tonga on that licence. Overseas driving licences are valid for up to 12 months from the date of arrival. Visitors with licences from non-visa-exempt countries need to obtain a Visitor’s Driving Licence. For more information, check out our guide, Can You Drive in Tonga with an Overseas Licence?

Conditions of the Tourist Driving Licence in Tonga

The conditions of the Visitor’s Driving Licence is as follows:

  • The licence is valid for three months from the issue date
  • The licence is for the named driver on the licence only and cannot be transferred
  • You must be over the age of 18
  • You must have the Visitor’s Driving Licence and your overseas driving licence on you when driving in Tonga.
How to Get a Tourist Driving Licence in Tonga(c)

Where to Get a Tourist Driving Licence

Tourists to Tonga can only obtain a Visitor’s Driving Licence once they are in Tonga. They can be purchased from the Land Transport Division office at The Ministry of Infrastructure building located on Alaivahamama’o Bypass Road, Nuku’alofa. Alternatively, Visitor’s Driving Licences are available at the Police Station on the corner of Tu’i and Fatafehi Roads, Neiafu.

Some car rental companies, particularly in Nuku’alofa, offer assistance in getting the Visitor’s Driving Licence – see which in The Best Car Rentals in Tonga.

How to Get a Tourist Driving Licence in Tonga(c)

What Do You Need for a Tourist Driving Licence?

In order to get a tourist driving licence, you will need the following:

  • To be 18 years old or above
  • A full valid overseas driving license
  • An International Driving Permit (if applicable)
  • TOP$40 cash or to pay with card

Learn more about what type of overseas driving licence you need in Can You Drive in Tonga With an Overseas Licence? Plus, get more tips on the International Driving Permit in Do You Need an International Driving Permit for Tonga?

For a more in-depth description of the driving licence application process, see How to Get a Tonga Visitor’s Driving Licence.

How to Get a Tourist Driving Licence in Tonga(c)

Tips for Driving in Tonga

Once you have your tourist driving licence and are ready to hit the road, be aware of the road rules in Tonga to stay safe. Some road rules and things this be aware of include:

  • Drive on the left side of the road
  • Be aware of animals on the road
  • The speed limit is 50km/h in urban areas and 70km/h elsewhere
  • Take extra care on gravel and dirt roads
  • Give way to vehicles turning right
  • Don’t drink and drive

For more tips, see How to Drive in Tonga and 10 Safety Tips for Driving in Tonga.

More About the Tourist Driving Licence in Tonga

That’s it for the guide to the tourist driving licence in Tonga. Now head over to the Tonga Transport Guide: 10 Ways to Get Around Tonga or get even more advice in our 31 Tips for Travelling in Tonga.


Robin C.

This article was reviewed and published by Robin, the co-founder of Tonga Pocket Guide. He has lived, worked and travelled across 16 different countries before settling in the South Pacific, so he knows a thing or two about planning the perfect trip in this corner of the world. Robin works and consults regularly with the Ministry of Tourism of Tonga. Robin is also the co-founder of several other South Pacific travel guides and is a regular host of webinars with the South Pacific Tourism Organisation.

Was this article useful?


Recommended For You